I’m doing cartwheels this morning (and believe me when I say I’m not the athletic type)! I am beyond thrilled to host my very first giveaway! Yahoo! Yippee! Hurray!
Last month I was lucky enough to win a giveaway for a Hooked on Phonics Learn to Read set. I chose the 1st grade edition for my older son. He has been reading since he was 5 1/2, but up until recently he had been sounding words out slowly. This had frustrated him, because it would take him a very long time to get through a page of text. He wanted to be able to read full words at a glance. Enter Hooked on Phonics.
First of all I’d like to say that I absolutely love the way the program is put together. There are 2 levels: level 1 is comprised of 15 lessons and level 2 has 13 lessons. Each lesson takes about 20 minutes. My son has completed level 1 and is currently on lesson 11 of level 2, so he’s almost done and will be moving on to the 2nd grade set next.
Here’s how each lesson works:
1. Watch the lesson on DVD to learn new sounds and words. The words are shown twice for reinforcement.
2. Open the workbook to the lesson and the child reads the words he just saw on the DVD.
3. Read the story that contains the words and sounds from the lesson.
The set contains star reward stickers to celebrate the child’s progress, which my son really likes.
Within a few lessons, there was a marked difference in my son’s reading ability. He was reading much faster, no longer sounding words out aloud but rather putting the sounds together silently in his head. He was reading the words as a whole rather than breaking them up by sound. This really boosted his confidence and piqued his interest in reading. Now he reads EVERYTHING with such gusto. When he watches a movie or a TV show, he wants the captions on so he can practice reading!
I can’t tell you how much Hooked on Phonics has helped our family, and now I’m giving YOU the chance to try the program out as well!
If you’d like to purchase a set, Hooked on Phonics is generously providing my readers with a 40% discount! Use the coupon code “SAVE40” at check-out.
To enter for a chance to win your choice of the Pre-K, Kindergarten, 1st Grade or 2nd Grade set, please visit the Hooked on Phonics web site and tell me the name of another product that interests you and why. Also please let me know who the set would be for if you are chosen as the winner.
* Subscribe to my blog via email (+5 entries; please comment 5 times)
* Post about this giveaway on your own blog by linking back here and to the Hooked on Phonics site. This doesn’t have to be an individual post; you can just make a short mention while listing other giveaways (+5 entries, please comment 5 times)
* Follow Hooked on Phonics on Twitter @hopdotcom (+1)
* Follow the Hooked on Phonics blog (+1)
* Tweet about this giveaway by copying the following: “RT Hooked on Phonics Learn to Read #giveaway Exp 4-13 @mami2jcn @hopdotcom https://grandgiveaways.wordpress.com/2010/03/29/hookedonphonics” (+1 per day)
Giveaway entry period will end at 11:59 PM on April 13, 2010. You must include your email address so that I can contact you if you win. US residents only. You must reply to my notification email within 48 hours or another winner will be chosen.
Hooked on Phonics is generously providing a free Learn to Read set for one lucky winner. The opinions above are purely my own and I won a giveaway on another blog that allowed me to try out the product. I did not receive compensation for this post. Thank you very much to Dawn at Smarterville, Inc. for allowing me this opportunity!