We’re in the middle of summer and, although we took a family beach vacation in late spring, we’re thinking about squeezing in another short trip before the kids go back to school. When vacationing with children, it’s a good idea to keep some basic travel tips in mind:
1. Pack snacks & drinks! These help pass the time on car trips but also are helpful to have at the hotel to save money on eating out. With my picky eaters, we need to have some familiar snacks from home on hand.
2. Make a detailed packing list. This goes without saying for me. I need a list to follow so I can check off the items I’ve packed as I go along.
3. Pack paper goods. We always find ourselves needing paper towels and tissues on the road. I recall one trip when my older son threw up in the car and we were very glad to have paper towels!
4. Research your destination before you leave home. I know some people can just wing it, but I can’t! I need to have an idea of the local attractions, restaurants, and things to do nearby.
5. Pack antibacterial wipes/spray/hand sanitizer. The germaphobe in me needs these things on any trip, near or far!
6. Pack items to entertain the kids. Games, puzzles, crayons, and coloring books are must-haves. A DVD player and movies are also great to have. My kids enjoy handheld games like the Leapster and Mobigo.
7. Bring your GPS. Gone are the days of wrinkled road maps that I can’t fold back into their original form. A GPS is a handy tool on the road.
8. Look up deals/coupons on the Internet before you go. I know that Disney has forums where travelers discuss ways to save money at the theme parks. The site Retailmenot.com lists retailer coupons.
9. Bring the Powermat! You can charge your cell phone, iPod, e-books, GPS, and handheld games all in one place!
10. Relax and have fun! Family vacations make for long-lasting memories you will cherish forever, so enjoy.
When we received the Powermat, my husband’s face lit up. He was thrilled to have one place to charge all of his devices. The included carrying case was a nice surprise, too. He was impressed, and he’s a techie, so I KNOW this would be a wonderful item to have in any household. It makes a great gift as well.
GIVEAWAY: Powermat has generously offered a Powermat of the winner’s choosing plus one additional accessory.
Mandatory entry: You MUST be a confirmed email subscriber of this blog to enter. In ONE comment, state that you are a subscriber and share how you think Powermat would make your life easier. (Please be original! Don’t copy someone else’s answer.)
* For one additional entry, “Like” Powermat on Facebook and type the following message on your own Facebook status: “I am a #Powermatfan and entered to win a Powermat at https://grandgiveaways.wordpress.com”.
The giveaway entry period will end at 6:00 pm EST on August 6th. I will use Random.org to select a winner. Open to US residents only.
Disclosure: M80 provided Powermat products to me at no cost for the purposes of this review. I received no other compensation. The opinions above are my own.
Update 9:00 am 7/29/10: After posting this giveaway, Powermat indicated to me that they no longer wanted comments on their Facebook wall about giveaways, so I had to change the bonus entry. Instead of writing on the Powermat wall, the bonus entry will be for posting the giveaway on your own Facebook status. Those that wrote on the Powermat Facebook wall still get credit for doing so. So sorry for having to change the rules when the contest is already underway!